No St. Patrick’s Day is complete without a little corned beef & cabbage! A traditional corned beef & cabbage entree is a hearty, rib-sticking meal, but since I’m working on my summer beach body – ain’t nobody got time for that. This Corned Beef & Cabbage Rolls recipe brings together all of the elements of the staple, festive dish, while still being waistline friendly…
– 8 oz. sliced corned beef
– 2 lbs. baby red potatoes, peeled & quartered
– 8 savoy cabbage leaves
– 1/4 white onion, sliced
– 1 egg
– 1 garlic clove, diced
– Salt & pepper, to taste
Prep time: 20 minutes – Cook time: 45 minutes – Total time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill a large pot with water, sliced onion, diced garlic, potatoes, and salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes.
2. Remove potatoes from the pot. In a medium sized bowl, mash potatoes with egg, salt, and pepper.
3. Return the water to a boil, add cabbage leaves – 2 at a time – and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
4. Roughly chop corned beef. Carefully cut the thick part of the lettuce stem off. Top each lettuce leaf with chopped corned beef and potato mixture.
5. Roll up the lettuce leaf lengthwise and place seam side down into a roasting pan.
6. Cover the pan lightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Serve while warm with mustard or horseradish sauce.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!