Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending CAKE: The Sweets & Party Expo – talk about a sugar coma! Foodies, bakers, party planners, and sweet treat aficianados from near and far all headed to the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa for a weekend of tastings, demonstrations, and workshops. Needless to say, by the end of the event I was bit by both the baking & party planning bug!
From vegan Spinach-infused cupcakes to fondant displays to homemade sodas, there was no shortage on sugary treats at CAKE. Although it was an extremely tough decision to make, I’d have to say that my favorite booth was Unbaked: A Cookie Dough Bar. Unbaked is an online safe-to-eat cookie dough company with so many delicious flavors to choose from – basically a dream come true!
Take a peek at more pictures from the event…
Style maker Gemma Touchstone was also at CAKE premiering her new book “Party Style” which is jam-packed with SO many great party planning ideas! Here’s a quick recipe from Gemma’s book that is perfect for a Halloween party – or just for a movie night at home…
Cake Snack Mix:
– 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
– 2 bags of Wilton White, Vanilla-flavored candy melts
– 1/2 cup yellow cake mix
– 1 8 oz. bag of M&M’s candy
– 12 OREO cookies, broken into pieces
– Rainbow sprinkles
1. Pop kernels, remove any stray seeds, and pour into mixing bowl. Lay out 2 baking sheets & cover in wax paper.
2. Melt Wilton candy melts. Then, stir in dry cake mix until completely melted. Add in M&M’s and OREO pieces and mix until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Divind and spread the mix over the 2 baking sheets. Top with sprinkles, before the candy hardens.
4. Once the mixture has cooled & harden, break into pieces & serve!
5. Quickly before the candy hardens, pour the candy melts over the popcorn and serve!
Head over to A Girl & A Garnish on Instagram – don’t forget to follow! – to see more photos from the event and check out #cake15 on Facebook & Instagram!