Inspired by a recipe I stumbled upon on Red Velvet Snow, I threw together a quick and easy Mexican Breakfast Scramble for a hearty, healthy Saturday morning breakfast. You can easily swap the peppers and onions for your favorite veggies or even substitute the chicken with taco meat. Either way, you’re starting your morning off right with a delicious & nutritious breakfast!
– 3 eggs
– 4 oz. chicken breast, diced
– 1/2 cup chopped peppers, red & yellow
– 1/4 cup chopped red onion
– 1/2 cup black beans
– 1/4 cup shredded low-fat mexican blend cheese, optional
– 2 tbsp. low-sodium taco seasoning
– 1 tbsp. olive oil
– Salt & pepper, to taste
Prep time: 5 minutes – Cook time: 12-15 minutes
1. In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté peppers & onions for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt & pepper.
2. Add chicken to skillet and cook until fully cooked, about 4-5 minutes. Add taco seasoning & black beans, then mix until well combined.
3. Crack eggs over mixture. Mix until eggs are scrambled and fully cooked, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Sprinkle cheese over scramble and let simmer until cheese is fully melted (optional). Garnish with salsa or sliced avocado & serve with a side of toasted tortillas…Enjoy!