Fried rice has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, whether it be at a teppanyaki grill restaurant or takeout in my living room. Fried rice is such an easy dish to make at home because you can essentially thrown in any veggies you have lying around, add rice & protein, and your meal is complete. This Picante Chicken Fried Rice recipe has all of the classic takeout characteristics with a bit of a kick!
– 2 cups brown rice, cooked
– 1 medium egg
– 1 cup boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
– 1/4 cup white onion, dice
– 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
– 1/4 cup zucchini, diced
– 1/8 cup green onion, diced
– 1/8 cup jalapeno, seeded & diced
– 2 tbsp. soy sauce
– 1. tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp. black pepper
– 1 tsp. chili powder
– Sea salt, to taste
Prep time: 5 minutes — Cook time: 10 minutes — Total time: 15 minutes
1. Drizzle olive oil into a pan over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, zucchini, and jalepeno & season with 1/2 tsp of pepper & 1/2 tsp chili powder. Cook for about 3 minutes, until onion begins to caramelize.
2. Add diced chicken & rest of seasoning to the pan and cook until chicken begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Be sure that chicken is thoroughly cooked and is no longer pink on the inside.
3. Once chicken is fully cooked, add rice to the pan and mix until well combined.
4. Move rice mixture to one side of the pan, then crack egg into the pan. Fry egg, scrambling while it cooks. Once egg is cooked, mix into the rice and veggie mixture.
5. Finally, add soy sauce & green onion to the mixture and mix all ingredients until well combined.
Break out your chopsticks & enjoy!