Spaghetti was always my favorite childhood meal. Although I still love a good pasta dish, the spaghetti noodles are not as friendly to my girlish figure as they once were…Enter spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is such an easy and low cal alternative to traditional spaghetti. Give this recipe a try for a delicious and simple dinner!
– 1 whole spaghetti squash
– 2 cups spaghetti sauce
– 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
– 1/8 cup chopped yellow onion
– 1/8 cup olive oil
– 1/4 tsp. sea salt
– 1/4 tsp. black pepper
– 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
– 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
Prep time: 8 mins – Cook time: 50 mins – Total time: 1 hour
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. Slice spaghetti squash in half and scoop out seeds. Season squash with olive oil, pepper, salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
3. Place squash in baking pan flesh side down and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until tender. Remove squash from oven & flip over to allow to cool enough to handle (about 10 mins).
4. While squash is cooling, sauté pepper and onion in a skillet over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce (I used mushroom & onion pasta sauce), season with salt & pepper to taste, turn down to low heat.
6. Add the squash strands to the warm spaghetti sauce & veggies and stir until well mixed.
7. Top with grated parmesan cheese or pesto. Enjoy!