Taco Tuesday is honestly the only thing that makes a Tuesday evening worthwhile (well that and a new episode of Pretty Little Liars). Instead of going out this week, make your own Mexican fiesta featuring this Crunchy Tostada recipe – complete with homemade guac, if you’re really feeling frisky. So before you sit down and watch your Tuesday night TV guilty pleasures, give this recipe a try…
– 4 oz. ground turkey
– 2 whole wheat tortillas
– 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
– 1/4 black beans
– 1/4 chopped green pepper
– 1/4 chopped red onion
– 1/4 tsp. cilantro
– 1 tsp. diced jalapeño
Prep time: 10 mins — Cook time: 15 mins
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray medium skillet with cooking spray.
2. Chop and dice all veggies. Add green pepper & onion to skillet and sautee over medium heat until edges begin to brown (approx. 3 mins).
3. Add ground turkey to skillet – season lightly with low-sodium taco seasoning for an extra kick. Once turkey starts to brown, add black beans. Cook over medium heat for 3 mins.
4. Spray a non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place tortillas on baking sheet and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese over both tortillas.
5. Cover tortillas with ground turkey mixture. Then top with cilantro, jalapeño, and remainder of cheese.
6. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 5-7 mins. While tostados are baking, prepare your own guacamole from scratch (unlike Chipotle, I don’t charge extra for guac).
7. Garnish with homemade guac, your favorite salsa, and a dollop of nonfat greek yogurt – a guilt-free, low fat alternative to sour cream. Enjoy!